Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sweetness

Yesterday was a rough day in our house- I've had a headache that has been so severe lately it brings tears to my eyes. Sunday night, Eli thought he must be scared of the Boogie Monster (who in the world told him about the Boogie Monster???) so he didn't go to sleep until about 10:30- after much rocking, back rubbing, singing, loving, praying, etc.

So, yesterday, he woke up in a crabby mood- most likely from lack of sleep. I'm afraid the whining voice just about did me in with my head hurting so bad. At one point, after a particularly long session of whining, I pulled him on my lap and said, "We're going to pray for Mommy's head, that Jesus will make Mommy feel better."

I've been trying to tell him lately that praying is as simple as talking to Mommy and Daddy. You just tell God what you are thinking and what ever is on your heart. He seems to be listening. We'll see if he gets it.

So, as I was rocking him before bed last night, he looks up at me, very seriously, and says, "Mama, hea till hurt?" as he reaches up and rubs his hands all through my hair. He's probably not used to my hair being down- but my head just hurt too bad to put it up yesterday. I told him yes, my head still hurt, and placed his little hand right over the right temporal region, above my right ear. "Right here is where it hurts."

He oh so gently placed both hands on my head and drew my head down toward him. And then he gently kissed my head, right on the spot where I showed him it hurt. He sat back down in my lap, looking so serious and sweetly at me. "Feel all bettah now, Mommy?" he quietly asked.

Choking back my tears at this sweetness and love my son was displaying, I said, "Yes, sweetheart, my head is starting to feel better. Thank you."

What an amazing moment- one I will treasure always.

Thank you, God, for filling our days with these whispers of Your love. Thank you for using our son to be Your hands and feet here on Earth to spread Your love to others. Thank you for blessing me with this sweetness on a day when I needed it so much. Let me be a sweetness to others in Your name, too.

1 comment:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago! When I told Aidan my head hurt, he reached up and kissed it. . .and it really worked! By the time I laid down, my head was feeling better and my heart was as light as a feather!