Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"Da" day

Any of you who know me know that a rather witty (some would call corny :0)) sense of humor has been passed down for many generations. So, it is with great joy that I can tell you that one year ago, the judge said "Da," or yes in Russian.

So, one year ago, on "Da" day, Tim became a Daddy- it is definitely da day!!!

We had such a peace- overlaying our overwrought nerves- as we sat in the hall way waiting for our turn for court. We had our paperwork organized, main points memorized, wondering what was going on on the other side of the wall where the Dini's (the family we traveled with) were sitting in court.

I can still almost feel that "presence" around us. I know there were many praying for us that day. Our court experience was very far from the horror stories I've heard some have had. I remember Tim's advice to me- only answer what they ask.... Wise advice. I have a tendency to ramble and tell lots of stuff when I get nervous.

But we asked God for grace and wisdom, and He granted it to us in full measure. When we stepped out for a few minutes for the judge to decide, Galina expressed that she was very impressed with us and would be very glad to see us again to adopt more precious little children. I think my only regret from our time in Russia was that we were unable to say goodbye to her. I misunderstood when she would be there, and we missed her the evening we went to pick Eli up. I would love to have a pic of all us together- the one who had been responsible for him from his first few months of life passing on the torch to the family she had also been waiting for. Her care of the children is evident. There are people the world around that just shine. Keep shining, Galina- starting all these little ones off on the right foot.

So, today, we celebrate passing inspection, having our adoption petition granted- beginning the 10 day wait until our adoption was finalized.

I had a conversation with some moms a few months ago, and we got to talking about semantics. Today brings to my mind one of the favorites I deal with. It is so hard to not want to share the joy and the miracle our son's entry into our lives was with everyone we meet. But, he is not introduced to strangers as "our adopted son." He was adopted, and now he IS our son. Period. I wouldn't expect anyone who had carried and delivered their biological child to introduce them when they were 2 or 3, or any age for that matter, and say, "This is my borned son," or "This is my son. I gave birth to him." Even a child born severely prematurely stops being introduced as a preemie once they catch up in size to the other children around them.

Today, one year ago, our request for adoption to the Russian court for Elisha was granted. That act was finalized once our 10 day wait was over. Now and forever, he IS our son.

Thank you, God, for this amazing way to make families, for calling us from the ends of the Earth and bringing us together as only You could. Thank you for the favor you gave us on the other side of the world, as we petitioned to become the family You called us to be.

No comments: