Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Friday, May 21, 2010

Birthday Bliss

Yesterday was Elisha's 4th birthday. Hard to believe. He seems like he has grown so much over the last year.

I felt quite creative this year, when I realized that, between Tim and I, we were working everyday straight for 2 weeks around his birthday. Hmmm, creative to make a special day that all of us could enjoy together.

So, yesterday, on Eli's actual birthday, we took off for COSI. We strolled first down next to the river park for a picnic lunch. He had fun and was so excited when he saw I packed his little knife and he got to spread peanut butter on his bread all by himself.

We headed into the building,and got our membership renewed. When the woman checking us in saw it was Eli's birthday, she upgraded us so he could go see the 3-D dolphins and whales movie.
He did a great job, and we had a blast. We toured all over each level, looking into many rooms we had never been in before. It was a little crazy with all the school groups there, so we finally headed up to the pre-K area. It was wonderful!! There were fewer than 10 kids there in the whole room, so Eli pretty much had the run of the place and was able to spend as much time playing with all the toys he wanted to!! He had soo much fun!

Then it was time for the movie, so we headed down, got our popcorn and waited for a few minutes. We got in, got our glasses on and munched on popcorn, sending Daddy some photos of us. They even had little glasses for Eli :)Some of the 3-D effects were a little much for him, I think. I thought for sure he would fall asleep during the movie- see how tired his eyes are here.....He did keep reaching out to touch the huge whales and dolphins, and at times told me to touch it- I think when he was scared. After a few minutes, he began telling me he didn't much care for this movie and wanted to leave. But, *grin* we made it through :)

We followed it by riding in the space shuttle. Kinda reminds me of one of the rides you put a quarter in- vibrates, angles upwards, then back down. He loved it- and said he wanted Daddy to ride in it with him. He got really brave and, after the 4th time, said he wanted to ride by himself- so here he is...
After that we found ourselves back in the preK play area, where Eli decided to make some food for us. He is a great chef :)
Our hope, well, my plan, was that Tim would be done testing his students at Grant (just around the corner) early in the afternoon and surprise Eli by showing up to play with us. But, alas, the testing went much longer than expected, and Tim wasn't able to join us until about 20 minutes before COSI closed.

As I ponder that now, though, it was probably a good thing. All the school groups had gone home and the place was very sparce with children. Eli was able to show him what he later told me was his most favorite parts-- the Space shuttle, which he and Daddy rode on a few times, and the space station, especially the toilet that he could move the lever and flush.

We left at 5, and decided to go to the spaghetti warehouse for dinner. Boy, oh boy, do they serve a lot of food!! We got the sampler- big enough for 2 was the advertisement!! It fed the 3 of us that night and provided lunch for Eli and I the next day!!Eli loved the big rail car that was in the middle of the warehouse, so we had to get a picture before we left :) Too bad we didn't get to sit in the car to eat :)He had been asking about his cake, remembering the back hoe/ loader and school bus I made last year. So, we got a piece of the 12 layer cake, and they all came over and sang, "Happy Birthday" to Eli. I thought he would love it- but I'm afraid he was a little overwhelmed. The look on his face- I was afraid he was about to burst into tears. I thought I was getting it all on my camera- but the beep I heard was my camera saying it was ready to hit record and not the actual recording..... sigh. the memory is there though.

We got home and he opened a small gift from us- some summer clothes I picked up for him. Mamaw and Papaw sent over his gift later that evening, which turned out great for us the next day!!

What a great day!!

No comments: