Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Parenting Foibles

Eli is growing up. He has skipped his nap more frequently lately :( Which tends toward more behavioral issues later in the day as he is totally spent. I watch his eyes struggle to stay open- but he reminds me of myself when I was younger, trying soo hard to stay up on New Year's Eve to bring in the new year, fighting sleep with all I had in me.

Today he was in his crib for a little over an hour for his nap. I had gone up several times to try to get him to lay still long enough to fall asleep. Tim had a great idea of telling him he couldn't go to the birthday party we were planning on going to tonight unless he slept.

So, when I came back inside after a few minutes and he was standing in his crib, I walked in and told him he needed to lay down right away and go to sleep or he wouldn't be able to go to the party. He immediately began scrambling out of the crib.

"OK, Mommy. It is waking up time now. I will go to bed early tonight. And I will go to Lauren's party next time."

Oh my!! It totally backfired on me!! So now, not only does he not get a nap- I now can't go to my nieces 16th birthday party because of trying to coerce my 3 year old to take a nap. Bummer. It is hard to stick with your guns, isn't it?

He got a swat on his little behind tonight for not listening. As we were praying together after we talked about why he got in trouble, he said, "Dear God- please help Mommy stop 'maken my butt." Ahhh.....

On a much happier and sweeter note- I almost broke my toe about 3 months ago. It was just beginning to heal- in fact- I think it was the first day I had not wrapped it in over a month. But, as I was running into the house to get some painting supplies for a door on the garage I was working on, I slipped on a puddle of water in the garage and re injured the same toe!! It looks much worse now- purple and lots of different shades of red and blue.

Well, that night as I was getting Eli ready to be tucked in bed, he was dancing all around me as I sat on the rocker. I asked him to be careful as I had hurt my toe again. He asked if he could pray for my toe? Sure, I told him.

So, he leaned against me and bowed his head, folded his hands and said, "Dear God, please help Mommy's toe feel all better. In Jelas name, Amen.... Mommy can I put my hand on your toe and pray for it?"

Sure I told him.

So he leaned down and put his little hands on my sore toe ever so gently and prayed again, "Dear God, thank you for making Mommy's toe feel all better. In Jelas name, Amen."

"Does it feel all better now Mommy? Don't worry, God is healing it."

If only I could reconcile the angry, bitter little boy when he receives correction from me lately with this incredibly kind and compassionate child. Thank you, God, for giving wisdom when we most need it. Your ways are incredibly higher than ours- and I pray for your insight in how to deal with our son to raise him in relationship with you. Thank you for this amazing opportunity!!

2 comments:

Chris Goeppner said...

Ooooo, it's difficult when they call your bluff, isn't it?
My boys never had nap time but they go to bed every night at 7!:)
I miss you guys, we need to catch up! Please call me when you get a chance.
BTW, I've had a broken toe and it took like 6 months to heal....I feel your pain!
Love,
Penny

The Gobble's (Lanetta) said...

ahhh... love it!!!