Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Praying with faith like a child

Being a mom, going through the adoptive process, watching daily as Eli grows and learns new things- it brings me to my knees as I develop a deeper understanding of what I have been reading in the Bible since I was a child. Oh how great and broad and deep is the love that God has for us!!

We are hosting a family tonight and tomorrow night that are in town for an extreme event. I wish I had more details, but I have been sick again- (yuck!!) and pretty out of what doesn't require immediate attention. (Good news is- I have a date set- Dec 30th to get my tonsils out!!! Yeah!!)

So, Eli and I have been trying to put the finishing touches on cleaning up the house and getting it ready for this family. After we got the sheets on the spare bed (futon, really) in the basement, we paused for a moment. I held him close and asked if he'd like to pray with me that this family coming tonight would sleep well. They have a 2 year old and 4 year old- and I know that sometimes sleep is not the best in a new environment.

So, we prayed, and then continued making up the bed.

As I was upstairs, taking the bread out of the oven, Eli was still in the basement. He wanted to dust some more :) *grin*- if only I can keep this attitude for the next, oh 20 years or so.... :) As I was upstairs, setting out the bread, I hear his little voice downstairs, talking to God- praying for Rob Jr and Olivia that they will sleep all night long when they come tonight. Thank you, God, that sometimes he really does seem to get it~!!!!! I keep praying he draws closer and closer to you!!

He really holds me to his prayers, too! My toe is still a little sore, nothing like it was-but still a little stiff. The bruising is finally gone- but I am very protective of it. When he comes bouncing near, I ask him to please be careful of my sore toe.

"Ah, Mommy, God is already healing it!!"

I offered him a bandaid the other day, after a little mishap outside on the gravel. He said, "No thank you, Mommy. God will put one on it while I sleep tonight."

We have been calling scabs God's bandaid. It is so amazing to hear him talk to me about God the healer, and so sweet to have him ask me if he can pray for me or Papa when we have a headache or an owie.

Thank you, God, for these tenderly sweet lessons I am learning from my son- for increasing my faith and showing me so many new facets of yourself!!

3 comments:

Sherri said...

Love reading the blog even if I don't comment very often. What a sweet boy you have!

Denise said...

What wonderful stories and faith being lived out in a real way. I love reading your blog Deb. You and Tim are doing a great job. Eli is as blessed to be with you two as you are blessed to be with him. It is so wonderful to watch it all unfold.
Love, Denise

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Eli is definitely growing so deep in faith! Fantastic. . .swatting their little behinds hurts us worse sometimes, but it is necessary if they just won't listen!