Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 27, 2008

American Citizenship

We live in a very rural community. The little village close to us, where the fire department Tim volunteers is at, is having their community days this weekend. Elisha and I went down today and joined Tim's sister and her family and friends in watching the parade they had.

It seemed to take a long time to get started- and the kids were beginning to get a little antsy. I noticed most of the children were carrying their plastic grocery sacks. I had forgotten for a moment about the candy being tossed out. It's been a while since I've been to a parade.

Then, we began to hear the marching band drums sound- and maybe the Medic siren. My brother-in-law was holding Elisha so he could see over everyone's heads and I was describing what was happening in the parade to him. I don't know if it is because today is our 6 month anniversary of coming home, or if I have just become so much more of an emotional person, but as I saw the Veterans coming by, starting the parade, I was choked up.

I looked over to Elisha and pointed them out- "Look, Honey," I said. "Do you see the men carrying the flags? They are very brave men that fought for us so we could have our freedom and live in America." I was battling my emotions so strongly at this point I couldn't say anything for a few seconds. I was afraid I'd dissolve in tears!! "Want to clap for them?" And my little boy, 6 months a citizen, clapped for these brave men.

I pointed to the American Flag-"Do you see that flag? It is the flag of our country- the flag that represents all they fought for and died for. The next flag...."I paused for a second- it was a black flag- and I couldn't see what was on it. My Brother-in-law, who served as a Marine, gently whispered back,"It's the POW/MIA flag." Gritting my teeth to stop the emotion about to overwhelm me, I said to Elisha, "and that black flag represents all the friends those brave men had who didn't make it home. " I had to pause, cause I knew I couldn't continue for a moment.

I began thinking about all the brave men and women fighting in other countries. Imagine. Some day, a mother in another country will have the freedom to hold her little boy next to her and tell him about how some very brave people came and fought so valiantly for them, so they could also be free.

As the parade continued, there was a float that went by passing out American flags. Now I couldn't contain my tears. I looked over at my Sister-in-law, eyes red rimmed (I'm sure) and spilling over tears as I said,"Do you realize Elisha has been a citizen for 6 months- TODAY!!!! And he has been given an American flag. How appropriate for our celebration!!"

So- I thank you- all you who serve our country so proudly (and I include the wives, children, parents- all those who are left behind, praying, worrying, missing your sons, daughters, spouses, moms and dads, aunts, uncles and grandparents- and I pray that all we as Americans, together, will remember to thank you- to show you the respect you deserve and make you feel the honor we should be giving you. Thank you for your sacrifices to make our country safe and allow us all the freedoms we have. Thank you for making this a place that we can raise our son in.

And thank you, GOD, for being with us every step of the way. Without you, we could do nothing. Thank you for your watch over us and your blessing. May we all continue to look to you, the author and perfecter of our faith!!

Thank you for this dream that seemed to take so long- but now seems a blur- that you have answered in so magnificent a way- thank you for our son. WOW- can you believe that six months ago was the first night Elisha slept in his crib- the day that God knew about all along!! Thank you, GOD!!!

4 comments:

Sherri said...

Congratulations Elisha on being home 6 months!!

Denise said...

What a touching story. I am so proud also of our men and women that fought so bravely for us and so proud of what the founding fathers founded our county on, Jesus Christ. May God Bless you, Tim and Elisha on this day.

Unknown said...

Deb, Your amazing in so many ways. I love that I'm not the only one that cries at parades. It's like when the firefighters, soldiers, veterans, and shriners come by I'm a blubbering fool. I can't explain why, but I can't stop crying either. I just feel full of emotion and gratitude for all they do. I love you and that we have DNA that makes us both saps.
Tonya

The Gobble's (Lanetta) said...

Deb,

Ok... I havent' checked the blog in a few days... and started reading this one to get caught back up... now I'm bawling tears!!!! How awesome... God so Good!!! What an awesome way to celebrate Elisha's 6 month as a citizen!!!!

Have a great night..
Blessings..
Lanetta