Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks

It is really hard to realize what we have this day set aside for, isn't it? Seems for some the gathering together is becoming more stressful, and both the tables and our bellies are groaning under the weight of our food.

I've been pondering a lot lately. Nothing new, I know, but Thanksgiving has been one of my favorite topics. The Bible tells us to "Give thanks with a grateful heart," and I was thinking the other day of some of my Mom's favorite advice to me when I call her as I'm in the "depths of despair," as Anne of Green Gables would say. "Think about your blessings- Thank God for all the amazing things He's done in your life...."

There is a song whose chorus goes something like this:

Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your blessings, see what God has done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your many blessings, see what God has done!!

I got to thinking- if I truly did spend my time counting my blessings- I really wouldn't have any time to dwell on things that allow bitterness to take root in my heart. Not that there aren't hard times- I'm not trying to say there aren't. But I've been thinking that it really comes down to what I dwell on- what I allow to occupy my mind the most- that directs my thinking.

Hmmmmmm--- suppose Satan realizes this weakness in me and uses it to its fullest? I find I so often skim over the superkalafradgelisticexpialadocious (sp?) blessings (I couldn't think of a word to contain or even begin to describe it....), and focus on something minor and petty in the whole scheme of things- so I don't even enjoy the wonderful gifts my Father has given me. What an amazing thing our former President did, when Abraham Lincoln made this day set aside for thanking the Creator of the world for life and survival in this new land a national holiday.

So- there are soooo many things that come to my mind when I think of things I am thankful for. I am so thankful for the journey we were on to become a family- it has made me feel closer to God and more understanding of our relationship with Him as we went through the adoption process ourselves. I am so thankful that God gave us His Holy Spirit to lead and guide us-

I am often amazed that God put me in the family He did. No one is perfect, but my childhood was rather ideal- My husband's a wonderful, generous, talented, caring man of God, our son is so amazing I'm not sure where to start- we are surrounded by family and friends that have become like family, while carrying ties to our family further away that have become even stronger over the last few years.

I am thankful that a young woman, halfway around the world, chose to give birth to a beautiful little baby boy, even knowing that she couldn't care for him, and then gave him up to be adopted. Her following God's leading in her life to not "terminate" her pregnancy allowed our family to be formed.

I am so thankful for all the people who have joined us in this journey- whether in person, processing documents, appearing in court, preparing us for the journey, praying with us, consoling us, crying with us, sharing our joy- what a blessing it is to be able to come alongside our fellow mankind and bless them.

And all the "stuff" we have is just icing- but I am thankful for all that, too!!

I'm sure this could be "the list that does not end, it just goes on and on, my friend....." but I will pause now in my thinking to allow you to also contemplate all God has blessed you with. I pray He will open your eyes, just a little bit wider so you can be filled with the wonder and joy that the One that created you and knows everything about you, also chooses to bless you. Thank you, God!!

2 comments:

A. Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving! My dear sweet niece.
AMEN! Yes, I agree with what you said and was very blessed.
Love ya, Aunt Sandy