Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Firsts

Now that Eli has been home over a year, we don't have as many firsts as we used to. Last week was the exception.

Our church had a marriage seminar, nestled in the beautiful setting of a state park, last weekend. I asked Tim a few months ago if he'd like to go... and he said he'd love to. How loved I felt- he took the day off work and reworked his schedule so we could have some time together.

My first- it was my first night away from Elisha since we brought him home from the baby home!! I was a bit nervous building up to the weekend about how I would handle this separation. Not that I don't think others can care for him- I don't want to miss anything!! Also, I have become so accustomed to being the main caregiver- sometimes it's a little hard to let go. I was a bit concerned about Eli, but he seems to be doing fine and I knew he'd be with my Mom and Dad.

The original plan was for my parents to come out here to Ohio, stay the weekend- Tim and I would be gone for the first night, and then I could have some great time with my parents for a few days. Tim was leaving for a week long conference on Sunday, so I knew it would be extra nice to have my parents with us.

My Dad had another engagement come up that they'd forgotten about, so slight change in plans, and Eli was going to PA to spend the weekend with Grandma and Grandpa. Probably easier for Eli to adjust, since it wasn't the super familiar surroundings without Mommy and Papa around. Not so easy on me. We met halfway for lunch, and then buckled Eli into Grandma and Grandpa's van. He was so excited to ride in their van, he didn't even seem to care that we weren't getting in with him. We got extra long hugs- especially Tim, since he wouldn't be seeing Papa for almost 10 days!!

God was so gracious. It was an absolutely beautiful weekend and Tim and I got some much needed time together and with our other friends from church that we just don't seem to hang out with much anymore. The weekend was a great refresher course on loving and understanding each other. And being able to hike around in God's beautiful creation on such a glorious day- not worrying about anything- what a breath of fresh air!! (Literally :0)

After church and lunch on Sunday, we parted ways and I drove to PA and Tim drove to IN. Mom told me Eli had actually paid pretty close attention to what I told him. For the last few weeks, when we talked about his going to visit Grandma and Grandpa, and what we were going to pack and how long he'd be there, several times he said, "And Mama and Papa, too?" I told him Mama would be there Sunday, after he woke up from his nap.

Mom told me several times on Friday and Sat he would tell her that Mama was going to be there after he woke up from his nap on Sunday. He had a blast!! When it was time to leave to come home on Tuesday, he said he wanted to stay at Grandma and Grandpa's house. He helped Grandma make bread, and wash dishes. Mom has so much more patience than even I do.

It was wonderful to be home with them for a few days. Mom insisted that I rest up- take a nap- she even volunteered to keep the monitor for me on Monday night so I could get a really good night's sleep. How nice to feel so loved and cared for and pampered by my Mom, while she played with and got to know Eli a lot better.

I am so glad he loves my parents and remembers them so well. It is a precious gift to me. He has an amazing capacity for love at such an early age. Tim's parents and siblings all live very close, so it is unusual for more than a few days to pass without seeing them- usually only a week will go by if we are on vacation. Sometimes months will stretch by without seeing anyone from my family, yet, he really seems to get it that all these wonderful people- Tim's family and my parents- are his extended family. He talks about Mamaw and Papaw and Grandma and Grandpa all the time. I just wish we could see my siblings more often:)

********************************************************
Papaw got the chicks in the mail today. I always knew they came that way, but I've never seen them delivered. I was wondering why the mailman drove up into the driveway. He stopped his truck just as Eli and I were heading into Mamaw and Aunt Paula's quilting shop. I heard a lot of cheeping coming from inside his truck. Then he started to gently lift a box that had lots of holes in it. Yes, a box full of pullets- little, tiny baby chickens. How adorable~~

I just can't believe when I think back to last year... all the differences in our lives. Here is my favorite pic from last year- when Tim and Eli were looking at the newly arrived pullets. I can't wait until Tim is home- maybe Sat morning or Monday we can get another pic with Papa and Eli and the baby chicks.

Happy firsts- and new Happy Seconds.......

No comments: