Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 11, 2009

The important things

Last Sunday was Palm Sunday. I told Elisha about how Jesus walked down the road and the people were so excited and joyful to see him. He rode on a little donkey, and the road was pretty rough, so the people waved the palm branches, like we saw at Papaw's Big Sandbox (St Croix), and shouted, HOSANNA!! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!!

Well, this year, we were able to actually get whole palm branches from Guatemala, where one of our mission outreaches are. He had a blast playing Jesus, galloping slowly down the hall as I waved the branches in the air and put them down just as he would gallop past. Then it would be my turn to be Jesus, and he would yell, "Hosnanana!!! Come name of Lord!!" as he waved the branches.

Tim was singing and had a solo in the Cantata on Sunday, so Eli stayed with me. I was prepared to whisk him away when he got bored and would stop sitting still- but that never happened!! He sat cuddled deeply in my lap, enjoying the Cantata as well as the little snacks Mama brought for him.

Fast forward to Wed this week. I have early morning pharmacy meetings once a month, and usually take Eli with me, since Tim has been working most of those days. He is usually amazing, sitting pretty quietly, eating his breakfast I bring him and being so very quiet. After sitting and being so quiet for the cantata on Sunday, I thought nothing of packing him up and taking him with me, yet again. I was not thinking of how he has been quite out of sorts lately- spring fever my girlfriend called it. I will leave it at this; after getting home and wanting to bawl my eyes out because it was such a bad time- that was Elisha's last pharmacist meeting he will be taken to willingly.

So, Thursday night was incredible, as you've already read about. I was decidedly nervous about Friday night.

Last night was our Good Friday service at church. Tim was Pilate in the drama they did. Eli and I were going to go. I was not thinking about how he was on Sunday for the Cantata. I was thinking about how he was for me at my pharmacist meeting. I was not looking forward to the evening with much gusto!!!

It was sooo amazing!! Elisha didn't know the great worship songs they were singing, so after I asked him to stop singing the ABC's loudly, he began singing Jesus Loves Me while we were singing all about the Cross and what Jesus did for us. It was pretty neat. I can't wait til he knows the words to the songs we are singing. It's the first time he's really paid attention and sang. (Of course, not the right songs or music- but hey- he's still worshipping God :))

He sat, mesmerized through the entire evening. There were about 5 or 6 actors that came on, one at a time, telling about what they saw and felt that night. The only well known figure was Pilate. Each placed a lit candle on a little platform as they were speaking. The spotlight was on each figure. As the last one finished, an agonized, short of breath, gurgly and raspy voice was heard through the church. As that person portrayed Christ through voice, the spotlight narrowed down to only the candles. As Jesus talked, the candles were snuffed out one by one. As Jesus uttered his last words, and commended his spirit into God's care, the last light in the room was extinguished, thunder sounded and lightning was seen. It was very powerful.

Elisha screamed out at the last of the voice and the thunder and lightning and turned his face into my neck cuddling close. I asked if he was frightened or scared? He said yes. So we sat quietly for a little while, as everyone left in silence. And then we talked about what happened.

Everyone was so happy to see Jesus just a few days earlier. Then, suddenly, they became very angry and they killed Jesus. I told him everyone was so sad when they were talking tonight because they didn't know what we know..... I told him when we come back on Sunday- just 3 days away, we get to celebrate Jesus conquering death and coming back to life, just like we talked about several weeks ago. Jesus died and God raised him back to life so we could be adopted as God's children.

Thank you, God, for becoming so real to Eli. I pray that we as parents will continue to train him as we should. Thank you for giving us the words to say to him and to you as we continue to pray with, for and over him.

Tim came out after everyone left. Elisha went on to tell him everything he had done- what he wore ("Papa wear lred curtain on 1 shoulder, 2 shoulder.... Papa wear white curtain on body... Papa have gold here and here on shoulder") and was pointing out which candle stick Tim used. We stayed to practice for worship on Sunday, and he was quite subdued, a few times asking about Jesus.

He is so happy that Jeylus is in his heart and God is in his heart. I am too!!

Thank you for loving us as much as you do!! May we continue to learn more about you and learn to love you even more!!

No comments: