Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The things kids say...

Yesterday was a rather difficult day for Eli and me.

It started off on a rather whiny note, and soon became a full ensemble of whines. It did not mesh with the headache and lackluster feel I had on my own part.

So, last night, as we were rocking before bed, I was holding him close and said, "Do you think Mommy doesn't love you when I get upset with you? " I had been doing my mental review and felt bad that I was a bit shorter with him all day than I usually am, and wanted to make sure he felt secure in my love- and not that a bad day could change my deep down feelings for him.

He said, probably from past discussions about this topic, "No Mommy. I know you luvs me."

"That's right!" I said. We had checked out a book from the library several weeks ago called I Love You All Day Long. It has become kind of a catch phrase with us.

So I said, "I love you all day long- even when I do feel like I want to rip your head off..." We chuckled a little and he told me I was being silly- I wouldn't rip his head off.

Then he looked at me and said, "Let me tell you something. Let me explain this to you. When I am mad at you, I don't lufs you anymore. You understand? Let me tell you. When I get mad at you, I don't luvs you anymore. "

I am so thankful that God let me see his child's heart and the ability to love that we have as a youngster. A while back hearing that from his lips would have crushed me. Now, I think it is really funny.

"Oh really," I said, through my smile.

I then reaffirmed him.. "Well, let me tell you something. I love you no matter how I feel about what you are doing. I love you when you are good. I love you when you are bad. I love you all day long and all night, too!!"

I find myself thinking that must be how we sometimes react to God. We love Him when He does what we ask. But when we don't see Him doing it the way we think it should be done, we don't really show Him love anymore.

I look forward to watching his love ability grow. I know mine has become so much greater, deeper, higher and broader than I ever thought possible. What an opportunity to watch the sweet spirit in my child grow. When he can admit that even though he is mad at me, he still loves me.

To be continued over the next several years.........

No comments: