Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Fox and The Hound

A bizarre thing happened the other day. We had taken dinner to the fire station, and there was a fellow coworker that had some pups. He named them after the dogs from the movie The Fox and the Hound. I remembered seeing that in some older discs we found, remembered it being a cute movie, so I thought Eli and I could watch it. It was the night we were setting up the tree, a few weeks ago.

Sleeping Beauty was on before that on the disc, so I had almost lost him. As the Fox and the Hound started, I began asking him things about the movie, trying to draw him in so we could watch it together.

In the opening scene, you are going through the woods, through brush and over growth and you hear dogs barking in the distance. Then a lovely, graceful fox comes bursting through the pic carrying a little one in her mouth. She stops at a fence post and takes a second to nuzzle her baby and after a quick kiss, she is off.

Eli and I were watching- and I commented on how much she loved her little baby.

Then she jumps over the ridge, out of sight..... and gets shot.

Eli's little lip began to quiver and he said, "What happened to the mama?"

I told him she had been shot by the hunter.

He came over to me, tears beginning to well up in his little eyes, lip trembling, and said, "Mommy, why do there have to be hunters? When is his mommy coming back?"

So we watch a little more, but he is now glued to my side. We talked about how God provides- the wonderful older widowed lady comes out and finds him and raises him. He meets the basset hound next door and they become friends.

Then, after going away for on the hunt training for the winter, the dogs come back and now the fox and the hound are enemies.

As the widow was driving away, taking the fox to the nature preserve to keep him from being hunted by her neighbor, we had to turn the movie off.

She was driving, remembering how much she loved having this little fox in her life, and he became aware of how sad she was the further they drove.

Eli jumped into my arms, beginning to cry.

When she told him to stay, and drove away in the rain, Eli's little heart broke. The dam burst and he was literally wailing.

"No!!!! That is not right- she can't leave him. Mommy!!!! Why is she leaving him!!!! She can't leave him!!!"

So, I turned off the movie and we sat and held each other for quite a long time until he finally calmed down. Then the rest of the evening, he didn't want me out of his sight- and preferred to be touching me.

OK- so no matter what rating The Fox and the Hound had before, from a adoptees standpoint- not very good until they are much older. I still cry when I think of his heart-wrenching little sobs. It had been so long since I had seen it..... WOW!!

Thank you, God, for my tenderhearted little guy, for putting him in our lives and picking us to be his parents. Please help us and guide us as he grows so we can be the parents he needs providing the support he needs to grow and spread his wings fully!! Thank you, GOD!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a tenderheart just like Eli, whether it be a movie, song, or book, I cry with heartbreak easily feeling the emotion of media. I always have. I have to tell myself how silly it is to be so emotional for fictional characters. Luke always hugs me and says "mom it's just a movie". Which is what I used to say to him when he was little.