Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Happenens

I think someone hit the fast forward button on our life's remote control.... I feel like everything is going so fast around us. Why do we rush through life soo much? God packed so much into each moment- it's like swallowing a candybar whole- you don't appreciate any of the flavors if you don't savor each bite.

OK- no pictures yet- you'll have to bear with picture less posts for a few days until this internet thing gets a little faster...... Oh, and I lost my camera.... so I'll have to find that soon, too.

I mentioned the zoo- we had a blast. At one point- actually about the time of the pics in the last post, my girlfriend's little girl began sucking her thumb. They were all a few hours past nap time- but still doing well. When Elisha saw her sucking her thumb, he began scolding her, grabbing her thumb and pulling it out and jabbering a whole bunch with Kaka thrown in several times for good measure. HHHmmmmm........ makes me wonder if he heard that speech a lot in the orphanage. Makes sense with that many little ones to try to keep fingers out of mouths if at all possible. I will probably revisit the zoo here on our blog once I get copies of pics my friends took while we were there.....

Last week was a scorcher here in SE Ohio- but it worked great to get out the inflatable pool Elisha got for his birthday. What fun !!! I finally understood what Penny was talking about- being outside with him in the pool was GREAT!! He was relaxed, I was relaxed. It was soo pleasant!!

This week just ending has been our Kidstuf production for VBS- VBS for the family- It's a really cool concept- the parents stay with the kids- the production is fun for the whole family and that way the parents can talk to the kids on the way home about what went on instead of wondering what in the world the kids are talking about. I was relieved that I was only in one of the skits this year, since we have Elisha now. I had a blast being back on stage that one night, though- thanks to the wonderful ladies that looked after Elisha for me!!. Look out world- Cammie is back.......

Tim is in charge of the skits- the drama part- so he's been tied up (not literally lol!!) backstage when he wasn't acting. Tomorrow night is the wrap up and "barbecue" for the kids and families where we can all hang out, eat and have a blast together. I must admit- I'm tired. Elisha has been up over an hour past bedtime every night this week and his molar is coming in. But he has been doing fabulously. I'm beginning to think the siesta time in the afternoon, where adults get naps, too, is a great idea!! :0)

Had a wonderful thing happen almost 3 weeks ago. I took Elisha to the nursery so I could go backstage and join the worship team for singing. Instead of ignoring me as I walked out, or waving and saying bye- like go ahead and leave already- as he has been doing for the last few months, he looked up as I was leaving and began to cry for me.

A little background- just the previous week I had become concerned about attachment. I was trying to get my hands on several resources- from our agency, some books other adoptive parents suggested, etc. Elisha had stopped showing me any spontaneous affection- no hugs or kisses unless told to. But he would give Papa, friends and family and even complete strangers big hugs and kisses. He showed no preference for me when we were out, unless he was scared. As I was reading about other parents who adopted about the same time as we did experiencing similar problems and we chatted about this, one comment really stuck in my mind. One of our other families mentioned that our children, after a few months are preparing for us to leave- they are, in effect, looking for their next caregiver, since they know we won't be around much longer. (according to their limited experience of life)

Now I don't think our attachment situation was very serious. I just wanted to make sure it didn't become a bigger problem. So, as I'm reading through books, and several other resources, I'm praying that God will allow our hearts to mesh and for that bonding to go to a deeper level.

Fast forward to Sunday- less than a week after I really poured on the steam in my search and my prayers. I almost cried as I realized he wanted me. He wasn't trying to get rid of me and replace me. He wanted MY arms around him and MY presence with him. Thank you, Jesus!!

It was the first tangible picture I have in my mind of him literally attaching. - and it was right at the 4 month mark of us taking him from the orphanage. It is weird for me to say that now. I don't think of the orphanage much anymore. I just think of him as my son.... and I feel like a mom...... Oh what a feeling!! I feel kinda strange now when people I know introduce us to others as Tim and Debbie and their adopted son from Russia. It's almost as if that part was a dream now. He feels like MY SON not my ADOPTED son. Gotta love it. Thank you, God!!

OK- enough of the ramblings of a tired mama for now......

1 comment:

3 became 4... said...

Oh Debbie! God bless you for your post! It came at just the right time! I have been searching for a reason for my son's recent behavior (regressing / detaching from me)... I never thought that perhaps he is becoming too attached (in his mind and little heart)! But that makes sense! He is afraid! I have read about that in the past, but forgot about that explaination. I am so in panic mode (fear of attachment issues)that I forgot... Thank you!
As far as molars go, I'm with you, girl! I am living that right now, too (yawn!!!!). I'll pray for you!
And the scolding / kaka thing... very interesting! Our son did that regularly and still does sometimes. We figured that must be something they were told to keep them from touching or putting certain things in their mouths (thanks, Kras #5!- too bad most English-speaking people know what kaka is- if they didn't, it would have much less of an impact)!
Blessings,
Lyn Franks