Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Shopping with Grandma

Elisha, my Mom and I all went shopping on Sat while I was in PA. Shopping with my Mom is soo much fun. Of course, we went to our fav place- Gabes!! If any of you know what I'm talking about, no further explanation is needed. If you don't know- I'm not sure I could describe it. Great store- everything was on clearance, too!!

Few funny points during the day....

I went to the changing room to try on some clothes. The very nice woman there let us use the handicapped stall so I could take Eli with me into the room and have space to move. Well, they've just redone their changing rooms and the "stalls" look like restroom stalls. Eli said, "Kaka?" I told him in a little bit- wasn't sure if he had to go, or was just saying that's what it looked like in there.

So, we go in, I sit him on the little bench and gave him the book we were buying for him to look at. Great book about a little red tractor. So, I quickly try on my clothes and then we get ready to head out.

Well, apparently, he thought we were in some strange restroom without a hole- yes, he filled his diaper. I had to laugh. Poor little guy must have been confused- I set him on the bench, hand him a book and tell him to sit for a few minutes. What's a boy to think?????

My good friend, Denise, joined us at Gabes. It was so nice to see her. I had been telling my Mom on the way to Gabes how much it means for me to get comments on the posts on our blog, and even more special when it is from friends and family that are keeping up with us on the blog. Since we had originally intended this blog to keep our families and long distance friends up to date, it is so rewarding to receive comments from those we so rarely see. (Disclaimer- I really enjoy any comments- my new friends I've met- you guys are great and I love reading your comments, too.). I mentioned that Denise and a few of my cousins in Kentucky have blessed me more than they'd ever know with their comments here. So, we called Denise, and she ran over to join us and meet Elisha in person.

We went to a great Chinese Buffet restaurant for lunch. The young lady waiting on us was completely taken with Elisha. I wasn't quite sure what to make of her attention at first, but just decided our son has an amazing persona around him. At one point, she is kneeling down helping him eat. ( only a few bites- she must have seen my face.... )He just opened up his mouth and took it- I noticed she was standing behind him- I wondered if he inadvertently switched back to orphanage mode as he looked up with "baby birdie mouth."

She took his plasticware and washed it- brought him a cookie- brought over other staff to meet him- kept touching his arms saying how soft he was. It was quite bizarre, to say the least. Mom and Denise had mentioned that he was adopted from Russia to her- and I think she was amazed at how perfect he is. I wonder if orphans in China are viewed the same as they are in Russia?

Speaking of which- and this is totally off subject- please pray for those adopting from Russia right now. I'm not sure if this conflict with Georgia will affect them or not- but it's hard not to think it will affect an adoption- especially if we get pulled into a war with Russia. God is bigger than any thing here on Earth- please just lift these children and families as I'm sure this must be a difficult time for all.

1 comment:

sonya said...

Oh, how I wish we would have had time to come up this summer for "shopping with Grandma". For those reading the post, there is no better shopping than with Aunt Merlene (aka Grandma) at Gabe's. Maybe we can shoot for fall or Thanksgiving break. We miss you all and love you. Debbie, I want you to know that everything you have described is perfectly normal for parents to feel. Know that you are not alone and I wish I could tell you that "it will get better" but it is more like a carousel combined with a rollercoaster. Many days are like going around and around the same tasks over and over and over (like the movie "Groundhog Day") and then there are the times with many ups and downs (keep all hands inside the ride). Parenthood is the most wonderful, exhausting, encompassing thing you will ever do. The highs are wonderful, the lows exhausting; but, both are worth every single second. Just hang on for the ride of your life and try to savour every moment. Lots of love and prayers, Sonya