Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Why do YOU learn scripture?

Last Saturday/Sunday was a day of prayer for us. Our adoption chat group ended Sept and brought in Oct bathed in prayer. I had the most amazing experience and just wanted to share an insight gained during my prayer hour.

Just before noon, which was the hour I chose to pray, I double checked my mail to make sure there weren't any more requests to be prayed for. One of my new friends and fellow adopting moms had written:

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
I feel good in the Lord today...one additional request for all of us: that we will feel the peace of the Lord during our personal time with Him over the next 24 hours and that we will know when to be quiet and listen to Him!!!!!!

WOW! Thank you Lori for your post- I read it just before I started praying. I decided to just spend some time listening to God first, instead of starting in with "requests" and things I want Him to do for me. I tried to quiet my spirit and just listen.

I began to hear phrases in my mind like- get prepared- it'll be happening really quick- go ahead and pack. Now, don't get me wrong, I really would like that to be the case, but I kinda looked out of the corner of my eye and said- is that you, God? Or is it me thinking the things I want to hear?

It was then that my "aha!" moment came. I began to hear scriptures in my mind- and it was then that I began to realize something that had never really struck a chord like this before.

I don't read the Bible because I'm told I should. I don't memorize scripture because it's a good thing to do. I read the words God breathed into existence thousands of years ago and store them in my heart, because when I'm praying and God speaks through the scriptures to me, I don't have to question if it's His voice I'm hearing, or my own wants and desires coming through. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is what God is saying.

It reminded me of Eli and Moishe in the Left Behind Series, if any of you have read that. They only speak scriptures, but are able to answer questions asked of them by speaking the word of God.

So far, no word on our adoption story. There has been much activity with other families over the last month. Thank you God for your many blessings!! We are looking forward to stepping off the sidelines and becoming involved with the action soon :0)

Right now I'm doing the happy dance for all our friends, making mental packing lists, still waiting on the call, but basking more and more in God's presence!!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Hey Debbie! (and Tim) I really enjoyed talking to you yesterday and I think it is so cool that God brought us together this way...He prepared our paths knowing I would need your encouragement and that it would come from someone who is feeling WITH me and knows my concerns. I love seeing all the details of His plan. How all things work together for the good of those who love and serve Him. I call you friend.

His, Lori