Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Interesting developments

I mentioned in the last post that we were planning a prayer day for last Wed. As I prayed through the list we had with our chat group, lifting up my new found friends and family, my specific request for us was that God continue to prepare the way for us- make our path straight and smooth- Go ahead of us- all that wonderful stuff that you pray when you are asking God to continue to direct your future.

Thursday evening I received a phone call from my employer.

Let me back up a bit here- we had a new computer operating system installed at the pharmacy last Monday. We are getting a new wholesaler, with a new computer system for ordering, at the end of this month. My staff is being pulled in many directions to not only cover our store, but to help in some of the other small stores in our chain. Our very good friends, in leadership at our church, are being called onto other things now, which saddens us hugely. Adding to this the fact that we are next on the list to receive a phone call for court to go to Russia and get our son, (yes, everytime the phone rings, we, well, guess I should say, "I" jump wondering if it could be "the call" ) you are probably seeing the changes and challenges occuring in ALL areas of my life.

OK, back to the present. My employer called out, said to call back when I had a few seconds, they needed to talk to me. Nothing unusual, I thought- most likely about the new systems and some adjustments we'd need to make.

Imagine my surprise when they told me they had hired a new pharmacist for my position, and her first day would be Feb. 20. Less than 2 weeks away. I was numb at first. Then very sad. I've been with this staff for almost 5 years and we've become like family. I had so many customers come to mind that I have become so incredibly close with over the years. I had so many thoughts running through my mind in that 5 minute conversation we had.

So- I immediately thought about planning a welcoming part for Annette, the pharmacist that will be filling my position. I told my staff and asked them to begin telling customers about the change about to take place. When I concentrate on welcoming someone into our family here, I don't have to think about the fact that I will be leaving. I won't say I'll no longer be a part of this family I have here- I just won't see everyone as often:)

I'll be put in a floating-type position and filling in at the store I originally worked with when I started with this company in 1994 until we do get the call and leave for Russia (and I become a mom in more than name only).

As I was driving home, seeking God for comfort, He suddenly brought great peace to my heart and a sunny smile to my face. I had just prayed the day before for God to go before and prepare the way for us to bring our son home. Now, not even a day later, my job has been taken care of. I won't have to worry about these customers I care about and my wonderful staff being left in a lurch during this already stress-filled time by my flying off to Russia. I hadn't realized the underlying stress that was causing me- the leaving of my job responsibilities behind. What a burden has been lifted from my shoulders.

So, even though I still get teary eyed as I prepare the pharmacy for someone else to come in and take over, I have such a peace and a joy. Even a little excitement, if the truth be told- HHHmmmmm.............wonder why she is starting on the 20th? Is there something I don't yet know? We had been hoping and praying for a court date on the 19th of Feb. That really isn't likely at all (still miraculously possible, but not likely), but it sure is fun to try to guess what the next few pages of our life books will hold.

As I was discussing this yesterday with one of my staff members, I realized that all that defines who I am right now is being changed. My job, my position on our worship team, the role I play in keeping up the prayer list for our chat group- all these things have changed this week. I am taking this as confirmation that I truly am to find my sense of worth in God alone. Not as a pharmacist, though that fulfills a calling in my heart, not as a flute player, though God does say to worship Him with the flute, and, I'm guessing, not even as a mom- though that is one of the greatest callings of all. In all things, through all phases of my life, God is the only constant, never changing, always there, One who knows me best, One who fills my heart with laughter so it bubbles over........

Hehhehehehehehee- I already have all our paperwork in order in a neat stack on our desk. The visa applications are all filled in except for the dates- the FedEx envelope is all ready, except for the dates, the bills are paid, the house is in preparation- and I've started laying out clothes. Let the journey begin !!!

3 comments:

Sherri said...

Debbie,
I am so sorry about your job, I just can't imagine the shock. Perhaps it is the 20th that you leave for a court date for the
26th????? Hmmm. Praying that it will be soon!!

Deb said...

I had a change at work this week as well and I can't believe the amount of peace it has brought me.
It was a blessing to read your post.
I hope this really is the start to everything changing in your life as you bring your son home.

Chris Goeppner said...

Are you ready for your life to change forever?! It sure sounds like it! I'm praying for "the call" to happen tomorrow! I still plan on calling you tomorrow before we leave. Will you email me your number again so I don't have to look through my old emails?
Thanks,
Penny