Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Weekend Experiment

I tried an experiment this weekend. It has been a very challenging one for me and brought quite a few discoveries my way- thought I'd share.

I was updating the prayer list on our chat group yesterday morning. I was contemplating all the prayers I want to place before God- for a court date, I'd love to travel with our friends we traveled with before, for finances, bringing our son home, help with situations at work, etc. Suddenly, I had an aha! moment. Though I think I am talking with God all day long in my prayers, I realized I spend very little time praising God. It is more like an extended wish list.......... God, please do this, grant this, change this, help me do this, change my heart toward this or that.

While God does want us to come before Him and make our requests known to Him, I realized, with much chagrin, that I haven't spent very much time praising Him for the awesome Father God He is. I mean, think about it- the Creator of the Universe- of everything past, present and future- cares so much about me and what my needs are. He listens patiently as I make my requests known to Him, longing only for my heart to connect with His.

So, I decided to make this weekend a "praise" weekend. I determined to not ask God for anything, but to praise His name and thank Him for all He has done, is doing and will be doing in my life. I have realized while doing this just how often my "prayers" and talks with God are the beseeching kind instead of the praising kind.

An amazing thing happens when you stop yourself short from continuously asking God to do something for you. My thought life has gone something like this the last day and a half: "Oh God, please help me...... whooops- I mean Thank you God for being the awesome creator you are- thank you for all you are doing in my life. Thank you that you know the requests you've placed in my heart and that you know me better than I know myself. Thank you that I can come before you and worship and adore you............" At this point- I usually have a smile on my face and peace in my heart. I realize I've had to give up the feelings my request begat, and traded them for the feelings that worshiping God begets.

It has been hard to stop myself from sending the one second wish prayers skyward. I never realized how often it happens. But, my oh my, I really like the results. Thank you, God, for bringing this challenge to mind. May I always remember it and continuously draw nearer Your heart and Your mind in everything in my life!

1 comment:

Deb said...

What a great challenge to take on. Sounds like you had a very blessed weekend because of it.

I know I should try this myself. I've been having a bit of a pity party lately.