Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Day One of Parenthood

The first night, I didn’t sleep at all. Every slight noise and I was up. Tim was also hyper vigilant. We needn’t have been- Eli slept until 6:30!! He woke up and Tim was in immediately- no tears- he went to his Papa. What a way to start day 1 as a family! We got up and dressed casually and went to breakfast.

It is amazing to watch this little guy feed himself. I wouldn’t have even tried it, but we were able to watch him eat lunch that last day. So, we put a bib on him, with the tail resting on the table. His bowl goes on top of that and then he sits forward and eats. Amazing. We did give him a teaspoon. In the orphanage, he ate with a tablespoon, the size of our serving spoons. He even takes the spoon and catches the drips on the side. It is kinda unreal.

He is so quiet. He is taking it all in, I guess. I’m sure he’ll let us inside soon. I keep seeing some little prankster boy peeking out from that quiet exterior. Moiy Malish- My baby.
We came back to the room and changed him into his little man outfit for his picture. How cute! So, we soon have this handsome son- refer to picture of him in earlier post- with a button down shirt, sweater vest and cords on, along with his snazzy new shoes.

We headed on down to the lobby so we could travel to the photo place. We boarded the van again- this time I asked if we could sit in the front seat. I had the plastic bag ready, open and waiting to collect any breakfast that might be offered up. I also used his jacket like a blinder- so he couldn’t look out the sides. Worked like a charm- when prepared for the worst, the best usually happens….. :)

We got to the photo shoppe and disembarked from the van. We went in for the picture. Quite nondescript room- looks like a room at Sears or any other photo place. The camera man was directing Tim, who was holding Eli, how to sit and stand Eli on his lap so the picture wouldn’t have Tim in it. Eli, looking around, suddenly felt a little insecure- so he reached his arms out to me and said Mama and leaned over for me to take him……. OK, are you going AAAWWWwwwwww, Debbie. OK, I am! How incredible a feeling it is to feel you can comfort this child. I know I feel so connected with him, as I’ve been falling in love with him for so long now- but to have him come to me for comfort in less than 24 hours is too humbling to even begin to talk about. Thank you God for answered prayers!

So, I take him, snap, snap, all done- jackets back on and load em up. Only this time, Yelena said for me to sit in back with Eli and Tim and Greg to sit in front seat. They needed to get out and sign some paperwork. So, I prayed. And I got in the back seat. I had the bag ready. No treats for you!! (Again, soup Nazi voice) I also did the whole blinder thing with his jacket to keep him looking straight ahead. Well, guess what…….. He did fabulously. No puking on this trip!

We got back to the room and wondered if we should put him on the potty. He had been resting on the potty several times a day at the orphanage. SO, we thought we’d try it. I was afraid he’d be scared of the big potty. But no!! He sat on it and peed. We were so excited. WE had seen the caregiver singing to all the children as they sat on their pots, so we sang a little to Eli. He joined in,,,,, La lalalalala la la. Then, suddenly, without warning there was a kerplop. Tim and I looked at each other and into the toilet. Our sons first BM in the toilet?????? How cool is that? I started singing the Hallelujah chorus. I got the bass part- King of Kings then did the soprano part- Hallelujah, Hallelujah. He grinned at me and did an imitation of the bass part and then followed with Lujah Lujah. This has become our potty song. :0)

So, we played, we ate, we pooped. What a great family life!!

After his “second breakfast” we prepared to go to the toy store. We thought the little potty seat would be much better for him, and easier for us. We also didn’t have a brush for his babyfine hair. So we walked to and around the store. He did really well. I was afraid he might go into overload with all the toys, but he just looked. The only time he went to something was the wagon with the sand toys in it. Sand toys. In Siberia. Hmmm. Do you find that odd?

He liked the big bear- bolshoy mishka- at the bottom of the steps.

I’ll just pause a moment here to mention what a wonderful friendship I’ve developed with Sherri. Isn’t it amazing how God knits our hearts together with others and forms such sweet koininea? She has been with us throughout our story, here and there like a fine gold highlight. I am so thankful she is here.

Tim wasn’t feeling very well, so the walk to the toy store was a stretch for him. We got back and he ordered Pelmini for us- yeah room service.

After feeding Eli his lunch, we put him down in the crib for his nap. I laid him down and told him see Chas te Hee chahs- it’s naptime. He laid down, I covered him and he looked around for a moment, yawned and fell asleep. I looked at Tim and said that was too easy. So we went about our activities. Of course a little quieter, but still rustling plastic and moving about the room. No wakey wakey!!! This will be important when we get home, since our house is pretty open and sound carries well. I know, some of you are thinking, wait just a few more months, when he turns 2 and then tell us how it is….. well, I’ll enjoy each moment and each blessing and each challenge and savor the small joys that flavor the whole journey. Oh, and Micki- you are right. It is the times they throw their arms around your neck, and even if they can’t say it, you can see they love you that make it all so wonderful!

He slept until almost 3!! Two and ½ hours! Room service came and we quietly ate our Pelmini. Little did we know it would be our last meal for a couple of days.
When he woke up, we gave him his snack, still marveling at how well he feeds himself.
We played, went for walks around the hotel, played, poo’d.

I had been initially concerned when he didn’t poo the first night or morning we had him. Boy have I let go of that concern. We’ve purchased 3 bags of diapers so far, and he poos in the potty!! My friends were right when they spoke of the endless diapers. And who would ever guess that I’m thankful for sinus congestion. WOW!! These diapers smell!! Even the cute scented bags don’t quite cut it!

OK, then comes the most fun part of the day- bathtime!! You have only to look at the pics Tim put up to see how much fun this is. Our little guy is finally seeming to come out. We’re seeing this little man we’ve never seen before. And we like. Very much. Dare I say so soon- we love- deeper than we ever thought possible!

Snack was a little milk and then bedtime. So we got the book out, sat quietly and read and then prayed together. I put him down for bed, told him PahRah spaht’- bed time- He laid back, I pulled up the covers and he was out in about 5 minutes or less. WOW. Let me repeat that! WOW! 8:30pm and our first day as parents closed peacefully.

What a beautiful day!
Tim and I weren’t hungry- in fact, we both felt a little nauseous. Tim admitted his throat was feeling quite terrible and he felt soo hot. HHHmmmmm. So- off to bed we all went.

No comments: