Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

First Visit- Monday 3/3/08

Long version:

The day started out like any other. Tim and Debbie, hanging out in a Siberian Hotel. Chris’s Sister and Brother-in-law arrived and we met them at breakfast. How wonderful to meet these people we’ve heard so much about. They have been such a blessing to us, just watching how they love and care about Chris and Penny. It was great to watch them interacting with the boys and getting to know them a little better.

We went to the business center and posted the info you read yesterday, running into everyone we know while we were there- Yelena was getting the documents finalized for Chris and Penny, the Dini’s came through to get some Wi-Fi and we had a blast catching up with all our friends and family that had emailed us.

After a lovely lunch in our room- our great smoked bologna (we think) and cheese on buns, oranges and water- we walked to the bank and exchanged some money and went shopping for a bit.

Then- at 2:00pm we met in the lobby and headed out to Sosnovoborsk. I was so excited!!!! And Tim was, too. It was so hard to contain ourselves! The day totally matched out moods. It is in the mid 30’s here- sunny- any snow is almost melted- warmer than Ohio!! The trip to Sosnovoborsk was so beautiful. When we were here in October, it was stormy and cloudy and very forbidding looking. Today was as different as night and day!!

During our drive to the orphanage, Marina, our interpreter, along with Elena, prepped us for our big day at court. They went over most every detail they have encountered in the past. Questions ranging from things about our financial statement, to watching the judge while listening to Marina. An area of concern during the last couple of weeks has been our house. Apparently, no one else has ever built their own house. Several documents were obtained in the last few days before leaving, to try to prove that we bought the raw materials and finished the building. Elena tells us that “she hopes what we brought along, is enough.” During our drive, an hour both directions, were we prepped. Good times!!!

We arrived, were ushered into the music room we were in before and we waited. I pulled a couple of the toys down that I knew Sergey enjoyed playing with before. Thomas and I were playing on the xylophones- kind of a dueling pianist J when the Dini’s little boy was brought in. He is sooo cute!! It is amazing how well the children are matched with their parents. I was so glad to be able to play with Thomas for a few minutes to give them that first time alone with their new son. It amazes me how perfect God’s timing always is! Thomas wanted to go over and meet his brother just as……

A few minutes later- Sergey came in. Quiet, as usual, very observant. And in pink corduroy pants J I looked at him and said Preveet, Selugia. (Hi, Sergey) He came over and played with the xylophone we had as well as the stacking toy. The battery was almost dead- but we could tell he was familiar with it. He kept pressing the top to make the music play. He seemed so content on my lap. He stayed there playing- reaching the toys. Then he moved over to Papa’s lap. We both must have been glowing- if my face looked anything like Tim’s.

We did so many things with him and he was sooo responsive to us. We put lotion on his arms and belly- he kept holding his hand out- palm down- for more lotion for his hands. He and Papa smelled like baby lotion pretty quickly. We were practicing our Russian on Sergey, and he seemed to respond so well to us. Maladeyots- good job, harasho-good, Miska- bear. It was so great to be able to say these words, I couldn’t believe how nice it was.

We got the photo album out we had for court. He really liked going through the pictures. I asked him- gdye Papa- Where’s Papa, gdye Mama- where’s mama- and he’d point to us in the pictures from our first trip. Then I picked out objects in the room that I am familiar with- gdye Miska- and he pointed to the bear- Maladeyots- good job. Then we got really familiar- I said Gdye Papa- where’s papa-and I took his hand and patted it on Tim’s leg. He patted Tim a couple of times- then we did the same with mama. Then- I think it was the first time we heard him speak- he said Mama- I was overjoyed yesterday- today, telling you about it I have some tears. Then he said, Papa.

We played games with the mini goldfish- yummy!! I could not have imagined it going any better than it did. I could feel everyone’s prayers- and I could feel my little guys arms wrapped around me. It was incredible.

Then they came for the Dini’s little boy. Our son stood up and looked a little anxious. I was afraid he was going to start crying, or want to follow the other little boy. I picked him up and those beautiful little arms wrapped tightly around me, holding me so close and hugging me for all he was worth. My oh my oh my. They don’t warn you about the effects this has on your heart. I thought I had a big heart before, but I could have been the Grinch for all my heart grew that day.

I said Gdye Papa- he pointed at Tim’s chest. Gdye Mama- he pointed at me.

Then- I began to dance- tansuyet- with my son. He LOVED it- we danced and danced and he laughed and laughed. Tim was able to get some pics of us and some video. I LOVE his little laugh. What am I saying – I love all of this little guy!!

Then Sergey the driver showed up. He held his hands out for our son. I hugged him tight until I realized Sergey was going to take our son back to his room. I asked if I could carry him. Sergey said- why not? So, I got to carry my son all through the orphanage and to his room where he lives.

It was a nice size room- bright from the sunlight in the windows- several children all playing around- all about the same size and age. They took me in and showed me his bed- where my little guy sleeps. Now picture this- the whole time, he is still hugging and holding me close. Then one of the workers told him it was time to get down- I think. He got down and we said Paka, Paka (bye, bye) he waved and we left. That was awesome!

We were able to go see Galina- the director of the baby home. We talked for a few minutes and then headed home. What a great day!!

When we got back, we headed over to the German restaurant. The gentleman at the door took our jackets- very formal- I felt very wealthy and privileged with the special treatment he gave us (it’s his job, I know, but I can dream……. J) And we joined Chris and Penny, their sons and Chris’s sister and brother-in-law. What great fellowship we had. I can’t believe they are all leaving. Watching them has made this so much easier for us to picture. They have kept the boys on the same schedule they were on at the orphanage and they are all doing great. I’m sure, as with everything, that there is much more to this than meets the eye- but they are making this look very doable and even easy. I will miss them terribly, but am so glad that we will be able to share our waiting time with the Dini’s and get to know them better, too.

Short Version:

After meeting the Goeppner’s relatives in the morning and surfing the web, we went back to the orphanage and played with Sergey. It was great!!

After coming home, we joined up with the Goeppner’s for dinner.

No comments: