Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Aahh- the quiet moments...

Our little guy is down for his nap now.

I'm sure you are all wondering how it is going......

I'd say overall pretty good. We have been getting out a little and introducing him to people. He appears to do well, but as I think about it, it is pretty stressful for him. He becomes a little aggressive toward us when we are in a group. It took me a little while to see this association. He does become clingy to us when with a lot of adults- such as at church, the extended family Easter dinner or at Mamaw's shop. So, we pick him up and he begins head butting us and slapping our faces, pinching our faces, scratching us. I'm beginning to think it is his way to deal with over stimulation. The only time he does this at home is when we are chasing him and get him really excited. I'm not sure he knows how to deal with all the feelings he's having.

It is priceless when he comes running across the room to us, wraps his little arms around our legs and hugs for all he's worth. Then he wants kisses and to give kisses. Priceless.

2 year olds are bundles of energy, aren't they? He doesn't seem to stop. We've started having a little struggle with mealtimes- mostly when trying to introduce him to table food, instead of pureed. How much is the difference in what he's used to and how much is him trying to exert the control we expect most toddlers to attempt? How does dealing with him, as a newly adopted child, differ from a biological child that understands all you are saying and has spent 2 years with you instead of just 2 weeks?

He is getting a little better when we correct him. He usually laughs in our faces when we tell him it's not allowed. Head thrown back, cute grin on, laughing for all he's worth as if this is the funniest thing he's ever seen. That is gradually changing. The hardest part is to keep to my determination to not raise my voice with him. I'm not always successful- but I don't want him to think he can keep pushing me until my voice is many decibels too loud. I'm sure I'll be keeping this one on my prayer list.

Bedtime has become a little more of a struggle. But I feel this is normal. And we really haven't had a "day" yet. We've travelled to the fire department and Babies R Us, we went to church, we went to the doctor, we've walked over to visit grandparents. No day to just stay at home and have a "normal" day.

Today we stayed at home and followed the routine. And....... he laid down with only a few minutes of whimpering. I'm thinking the schedule has more to it than I even realize.

I think I've discovered a new sleep disorder. I think I'll call it RSS. Restless Sleep Syndrome. It is a bit deeper than the lightness of sleep associated with a new baby. I actually feel as I'm falling to sleep that the baby is in my arms and I find myself adjusting my body to make him more comfortable. I open my eyes and tell myself that's ridiculous. Get some sleep- he's sleeping- you sleep. I look at the baby monitor and see the image of him sleeping soundly in many varied positions in his crib and I roll over. Only the RSS kicks in several times a night before I finally fall asleep. Residual from the 24 hours of travel? More of Mommy fog? Hoping that this too will soon pass.

He is appearing to understand English very well. It amazes me. We tell him to do something- and he, most of the time, will do it. Of course, since he is almost 2, there are many times that what I'm asking is just not what he wants to do. But I can see the recognition in his eyes.

We take him back to the doctor on Monday for some shots and check up, Children's hospital on tues for some followup tests and then to have some bloodwork done to rule out any other possible problems. Next week may be a trying week for us all. I am praying for an extra measure of grace for us all, and God's protective hand over our son.

Little Elisha,
You've brought such joy to our lives. We are having an adjustment period now- you aren't used to us and we aren't used to you, but I stand back in amazement and watch this bonding taking place and the love growing. I am praying that nothing will hinder that and that we will soon be closer than anyone has ever been before. I can't wait till you understand all I'm telling you about Jesus. I want to explain about the songs we sing- about how Jesus loves you and all the little children. I pray for your health and that all the test results come back normal and show the grace of God in touching your little body.
Mostly, I thank God for you, my little man. You have been growing in our hearts for sooo long that to finally have you home seems surreal. Your grin and giggle are infectious, your songs fill the house all day. Your dance moves are priceless and so precious as you dance to the Old McDonald tune on the La La Barn.
I watch you as you sleep and am amazed by all the potential you have in you. You can be and do anything you want. I pray we don't in any way limit you, but always encourage you and that others around you would do the same.
I thank God you have a Godly man as your Papa. I am so excited to be able to watch you grow and learn how to do so many things with this great man. I almost cry as I picture your Papa showing you how to come to God to make your praises and requests known. How wonderful to have a Papa that can teach you so much about Earthly things and knowhow as well as Heavenly things and know how!! I pray for your Papa that God gives him the patience and grace to know just how to speak to a 2 year old to begin laying all these foundations.

There are so many things I pray for you- but I'd better go now- I hear you stir- and my arms long to hold and comfort you once more........

4 comments:

Sherri said...

Praying for that bonding and all the adjustments!! You guys are great parents and I know he is going to continue to adjust and grow!!

The Wilson's said...

Eating, sleeping -- these are the hard times for any kid. These are the things they can control. One food the my daughter loved when she was switching to sold foods was avocado. You might give it a shot. It was soft enough for her and she loved them. I'll be praying that life really does begin to settle into a routine I know this will help both of you adjust.

3 became 4... said...

Debbie-
What a thrill to read about how well you are all doing! Praise God! What a great Mama you are!
I just LOVE the pics- they are priceless! My kids absolutely adore the ones of your son in the duckie bathtub in Russia.
Thank you for all of your loving encouragement. It means the world to me! Please continue to pray that we will get to go back soon (yes, to Kras- #5), and that the recent developments will not delay our return.
In Christ,
Lyn Franks

adoptedthree said...

He is a cute littl guy. Congrads!

From some fellow Buckeyes