Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Monday, April 7, 2008

Wonderful weekend

Mom, Dad and Karen, a friend of ours from PA, came out this weekend. It was soooooo incredibly wonderful to see my parents and Karen. It was great to finally introduce our son to them.

Highlights- Friday night- Tim's parents came over to visit. They live right across the road. So, while I was making supper, they were able to play with Eli a little. He went right over and sat on Mamaw's lap while she read him a book. Tim looked over at me with joy all over his face- "Did you see that?" He's also getting great at giving high 5's and waving Paka- goodbye.

My Mom and Dad came by in the afternoon on Sat- while Eli was asleep. We had a nice lunch they brought and got a little caught up on all the "happenens" here in Ohio and in PA. Elisha was a little chatter box when he got up. Until he saw we had guests. It took a little while to get the song back in him :) But he was soon toddling about and singing as he usually does.

The following is not for the week stomachs:

We went to Tom's Ice Cream Bowl. We had a blast. The food and the fellowship was great. 'Bout halfway through the meal- we thought we smelled something. Something very bad. It was then we realized that at the beginning of the meal, Elisha was saying Kaka- not craker- since they both sound very familiar. Well- hard back seat highchairs are not made for toddlers to poo on. It was our first up the back to the shoulder blades. Poor little guy got changed in the back of our car- since the restaurant didn't have a changing table. Good thing once we realized the extent....... Phew!! It took both of us to "pull this off". I reached up to pull his pant down and came back with my hands............... I'm sure you get the picture. We really can't complain. It was our first dirty diaper in 4 days- he's been doing so well going to the little potty we brought back from Russia. My big boy!!

You all may laugh- Elisha got the lecture from both Mama and Papa about not touching the pretty red boxes on the wall at church. One time for an announcement is one thing- but repeatedly- not so good....... hehehehehehehe.

Sunday morning, we all got up and moving about- Dad came up the steps saying Daduska in a deep voice. Eli looked around, saw him and went running and gave him a hug. After lunch he did the same with Mom, and after my family left to go back home and we went over to Tim's parents house to visit them, he did the same thing there with Tim's mom. Why is Ohio so far from PA? Mom and Dad and Karen were here for less than 24 hours- I wish they were closer so I could see them more often. There's just nothing quite like getting hugs and feeling cherished by your parents, is there?

Let me pause a minute here. My friend Karen is a counselor. She said she couldn't believe how well he seemed to have bonded to us. She and Mom both commented on how he acted like he'd been with us for his whole life, not less than a month. This was huge for me. I've been soooo concerned about the "bonding" process- to the point that I don't want anyone around my son. Tim says I read too much. We had quite the requirement of reading through this adoption process. I'm learning to trust that the prayers we poured into this little guys life are bearing fruit. Thank you to all out there that are continuing to pray for us.

Karen's words to me at breakfast have stayed with me so much, I have to share them. I'm paraphrasing through my fevered brain- so please bear with me- I'm in the process of healing :)

She said she was praying for my little family in the wee hours of the morning before we all woke up. The best gift a parent can give to their child is unconditional love. I nodded my head in total agreement. Then she said that in the presence of fear, there is not love. Woah, that brought me up short. What a thought to mull around in my mind. So, the best gift a parent can give their children is to wrestle their fears- all of them- with God until they are no more. Perfect love casts out all fear.

I keep praying now that God will purify my heart. Melt any dross out (maybe that's why my fever is so high???) so that I can be totally refined and be the parent God created me to be. I've been wondering if my obsession with the "bonding" wasn't fear induced? I want to leave a legacy of love and hope for my son. I don't want anyone telling him he can't do something. He has sooo much potential. I really detest when I hear parents telling their children- you'll never be able to do that, why do you even want to try? Unless it's harmful to the health- like flying from the second story window, why do we as parents curse our children? They can do anything and be anything God is calling them to be. Is it not our jobs to foster that and nourish it?

We sang a song on Sunday to close the service called Surrender. I give all my hopes and dreams to You, I lay them at the cross.

God has such Amazing plans for our son. But He also has Amazing Plans for me and for Tim and all our family. He has great plans for you, too. We all need to take the time away to find out what God is calling us to. I pray that I can continue, on a daily basis to lay these fears down at the feet of Jesus and come away with His perfect love. So, if you see me smiling, despite the fact that I feel quite awful physically, know it's because I know God will heal me. I will not fear- being sick, asking for help, not being perfect. I will be all I can through Christ and that will be all He asks of me.

Thank you God for family and friends. Thank you for my family and for bringing us continually closer together. Thank you for health and your hand to be in ours, helping us along as we travel this Journey of Faith with you. Thank you for purchasing our tickets with your blood. Teach me to love without fear, and make any fears known to me so I can lay them at your feet. I love you, God!!

3 comments:

Sherri said...

Ah Debbie,
Praying that you will feel well soon!! Love reading your blog and all your honesty. I find every day I am humbled over and over!! May He continue to give you grace and strength!!!

Lori Nichols said...

Deb & Tim,
Congrats to you both! Elisha is truely blessed to have a wonderful Christian family! Deb, thanks for bringing him into the credit union for us to finally meeting this little miracle!
God Bless you all in your wonderful life together as a family!
Lori Nichols
Genesis Credit Union

Mike & Dee said...

"In the presence of fear, there is no love" Whoa is right! That is deep and wise words for all parents! I think you read too much as well....just love the little guy unconditionally and all will be well. Seek advice from other Christian mothers....and not so much from expert book writers who may have no Christian background whats so ever....

Will be praying for your health! That explains why you were out cold in the car Monday (the little red car in front of you on 22 with the driver waving...that was me)It was cute though, Eli was out too! Only Tim seemed wide awake, which was good, since he was driving =)

Love you guys,

Mike